FC Forum : Sam L. Morse Forums
News, views and discussion on the Lyle Hess designed Sam L. Morse Falmouth Cutter
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Heavy Weather Sailing
Posted by: barefootnavigator (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2015 06:24PM
Category: Sails and canvas

I'm still learning to sail this little boat to her optimim efficiency, 4 years into it and with more accurate wind readings I'm learning that she "maybe its me" has some issues when sailing to weather in winds much over 40 knots. I have taken out 200' of 5/16 chain and replaced it with 30' and removed her windlass and replaced it with my now broken back. My sails are in good but not great shape. Am I missing something or is she just too small to drive into such nasty weather. I really put her and myself to the test this year and can't seem to figure anything out. For what its worth I keep her fully loaded and balanced and she sails like a dream in most conditions. This has come up before and ballast always seems to come up, i don't feel like this is the answer but what do I know. I have the tall if version with 2 sets of deep reefs a yankee and a staysail that I believe are 120 and 80. I'm hoping the star will align this next spring and take both of us to Alaska. I keep looking at moving up to a BCC to get a more powerful ship but just can't seem to push the button as I love the ease and simplicity of this little boat.

s/v Sookie
FC #26
www.artofhookie.org

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
copyright Coledata, Inc. 2008