FC Forum : Sam L. Morse Forums
News, views and discussion on the Lyle Hess designed Sam L. Morse Falmouth Cutter
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Cabin sole
Posted by: barefootnavigator (IP Logged)
Date: April 19, 2013 11:28PM
Category:

Could someone please measure their cabin sole at its widest point for me? smiling smiley

s/v Sookie
FC #26
www.artofhookie.org

Re: Cabin sole
Posted by: ross8350 (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2013 04:34PM
Category:

i'll be at the boat on monday. be happy to measure cabin sole for your. you want the distance between the two seatee's?

jo anne ross
s/v little pearl
falmouth cutter 26-7

Date: April 20, 2013 06:53PM
Category:

Thanks but I have a 22 FC Its hull 26 I know is confusing on my post. A good friend of mine has a 26 and I love it, seems like the best size of all of them.

s/v Sookie
FC #26
www.artofhookie.org

Posted by: ross8350 (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2013 07:04PM
Category:

oops!

jo anne ross
s/v little pearl
falmouth cutter 26-7

Posted by: Stout (IP Logged)
Date: April 20, 2013 11:22PM
Category:

18 3/8" at it's widest which is right around the partial bulkheads fwd of the settees.

Date: April 21, 2013 04:49PM
Category:

Thank you so much, my boat is owner finished and I wasn't sure what factory spec was. I'm short about 5'10" and I'm thinking about adding a bilge, water tank and raising my sole 2" which will widen the soul to 24" and still give me standing head room.

s/v Sookie
FC #26
www.artofhookie.org

Date: April 24, 2013 12:56AM
Category:

Sounds pretty cool. How much water do you think the tank will hold?

Date: April 24, 2013 06:08AM
Category:

That's a really good question. Ideally I would like 30 gallons in a single tank and an addition 25 in portable tanks. I have an owner finished FC with no engine, no head and no tanks so its an open book.

I've only had her 2 years but am learning fast that weight distribution is critical on these boats. I have been using 200lbs of dog food and 10 cases of wine as movable ballast to determine where she likes the weight. Ideally I will have a deck mounted box with a gravity feed water tank that also fills my main tank from a rain catch. I wish I had access to a few factory boats so I could compare layouts.

One thing I love is the 6x6 laminated keel stepped compression post but it does rob some space in the galley and bilge, where my tank will be. One thing for sure I can pile 2000 lbs of crap/food/booze in this boat and still not be down to her DWL. She seems to prefer more weight, and sails great loaded as long as I keep her steering sails flying longer than her driving sail.

s/v Sookie
FC #26
www.artofhookie.org

Posted by: jverl (IP Logged)
Date: April 24, 2013 11:19PM
Category:

Hi Alan

I measured my sole directly on the plywood underlay and at the widest point (across the quarter berth bulkheads approx 39" from main bulkhead) I got 20 3/4". I remember someone stating that the later FCs had a raised sole so that they could put in two water tanks made by Ronco (part number B341) with each one being 9 gal. Added to that is the plastic water tank under the engine which is 23 gal. for a total of 41 gal in a factory Sam L Morse FC. These will also add some more weight down below. I hope this is helpful.

John V.
FC39

Date: April 26, 2013 01:12AM
Category:

Yeah I'm not sure how much of my boat is factory, I talked to Gary the second owner and he said He ripped out a bunch of the interior the original owner had built. For the record my headroom in the center is 72 and 1/2".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
copyright Coledata, Inc. 2008