BCC Forum : Sam L. Morse Forums
News, views and discussions on Lyle Hess Yachts, focussed primarily on the Bristol Channel Cutter
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
BCC #77 History
Posted by: MCilenti (IP Logged)
Date: July 1, 2018 08:38PM
Category: Miscellaneous

Ahoy All,

I've spent way too many years looking (ok, drooling) at BCCs and am at the point in my life where buying one finally makes sense (as much as buying/owning a boat can ever be logical). We just looked at BCC #77 today:

[www.yachtworld.com]

She seems solid, but like any 30+ year old boat definitely needs some work. I was wondering if anyone had any insights on her history. It seems she was just sold, but the new owner couldn't take delivery due to some family medical issues. The broker (Spencer Kent, who was a great guy) said he thought the owner before (unknown name) had completed her last refit but then passed away shortly thereafter.

Any help or background on this boat, would be very much appreciated!
Cheers,
Mike Cilenti

Re: BCC #77 History
Date: September 3, 2018 03:07PM

Good Morning All,

Just wanted to provide an update- my beautiful bride and I finalized purchase of BCC #77 on Friday and spent this weekend sailing her across to Deale, which is her new home!

We're a bit overwhelmed and it hasn't quite sunk in that we not only own a boat, but THE boat!

In addition to the 1,000 other projects on our mind, we're going to try and put together the history of the boat, so if anyone has any information, we'd great appreciate it.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by: Greg (IP Logged)
Date: September 18, 2018 11:30PM

Congratulations Mike!

The photos you linked to on Yachtworld showed some very interesting gear arrangements that I have not seen on a BCC before. Keep us posted about what works well & what doesn't.

I don't have any background on BCC#77, other than I think her original name was Cymba.

Date: September 30, 2018 08:00PM

Greg,

There are a few differences compared to the standard set-up:

1. The windlass is aft adjacent to the port side of the mast. The anchor rode actually forward to the anchor through a pipe that runs through the scuttle. The anchor rode goes down a pipe that runs at an angle forward through the main cabin bulkhead into a bin that was built into the head on the aft bulkhead. I think the idea was to keep the weight of the anchor chain as far aft as possible, which I appreciate. However, the bin has limited room and is a bit high (top is the same height as the rest of the top of the cabinet). One of the other issues is that you can't open the scuttle completely, because if you lay it down forward a corner of the top rests on the chain running forward on the deck, which has damaged the wood. We're taking our time to think this through, but at some point we'll need to refinish the decks/cabin and we'll likely be shifting the windlass a little.

2. The other main difference is the stainless arch over the tiller. I think this was done so you can lift the tiller easier to access the lazarette. I like the idea, but quite honestly the execution just looks a bit industrial and out of place on the BCC. I think we might install a pushpit that wraps around from the aft sides of the gallows, but not sure yet.

The rest of the boat is the standard layout.

So far we've just done a lot of cleaning, replaced the Whale manual bilge pump and have done some day sailing. We wanted to make the most of the fall weather before we haul her for the winter and get some more work done.

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by: Iduna_ (IP Logged)
Date: October 1, 2018 01:35PM

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the neighborhood. My wife and I keep our BCC, Iduna, just north of you in Galesville. Shoot me a message if you're curious to check out an owner-finished boat. Your new boat looks lovely, and I would love check her out in person. Are you keeping her at herrington North?

Jon

Date: October 8, 2018 09:41PM

Jon! I had no idea you guys were so close. Just sent you a PM.
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
copyright Coledata, Inc. 2008