BCC Forum : Sam L. Morse Forums
News, views and discussions on Lyle Hess Yachts, focussed primarily on the Bristol Channel Cutter
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Weather routing
Posted by: seacap (IP Logged)
Date: December 25, 2016 07:23PM
Category: Electronics & navigation

A big shout out to Jeremy and Nica on Calypso. He has developed a weather routing website that is most useful! Using it now to make the jump between the BVI and St Martin. Go check it out at www.fastseas.com

Gary Felton
S/V Angelsea
US Virgin Islands
[www.sailing-photography.net]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/25/16 07:24PM by seacap.

Re: Weather routing
Posted by: Bil (IP Logged)
Date: December 25, 2016 11:08PM
Category: Electronics & navigation

Most interesting. Inquiring minds ask:

What polars and comfort criteria do you use, Gary?

For what sailplan (or sailplans) are your polars relevant?

Who created your polars: did you calculate them yourself from performance? or from a numeric model of the BCC and its sailplan? Or do Jeremy and Nica have a standard BCC polar?

On Z, I had mild success creating a table of target speeds and a polar using both performance data and working through a publicly available spreadsheet. The result was a fairly coarse (i.e. not fine detail) polar which I have used with QTVLM (a publicly available program for wind routing using GRIBs).

I lost my enthusiasm for the project a few years back (and am not certain I can find the polar now - that's partly also because PCs and harddisks die without adequate backup!).

We usually sail Z in cutter configuration. In light winds and flat water, we fly an overlapping genoa without the staysail. Different performance (but that also might be a product of the state of the staysail, the sailcloth of which seems to age faster than that of the main or jib top - perhaps because of the way it gets handled).

Cheers

Bil

BCC 116 Zygote,
Scarborough Marina, Moreton Bay, Queensland, Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
copyright Coledata, Inc. 2008